Mirrors often adorn every room in a family home. Whether it’s a large mirrored display or a tiny reflection from a candle holder, you likely don’t have to look very far in your own home to spot a mirror. But, what happens when all the mirrors that have taken up wall space or are ornamental decorations become old and outdated? Listed below are 12 things that you can do with your old mirrors.
- Custom Framing. Make an old mirror brand new with custom framing. Your local craft store specializes in framing pictures, mirrors, and anything else that you have that need to be framed. An old mirror can go perfectly above your bed or above the couch in your living room. Have an old mirrored custom framed and pass it along to your children when they are older. Create a family heirloom with the old mirror.
- Donate them to a family in need. Some families will gladly accept old decorative mirrors to help decorate their home. Just because it is old to you doesn’t mean it will be old to someone else. There are many families who will gladly take the old mirrors to adorn their home.
- Try to sell them and make a little money. If donating the mirrors isn’t an option, consider selling them online or to a friend. You may be surprised at the people who are willing to buy “old” things. Some people simply look at these things as valuable antiques. Is the mirror you are trying to get rid of considered an antique?
- Create a mosaic masterpiece. Tiny pieces of broken glass placed in cement can make the perfect mosaic masterpiece. This can actually become a great hobby. What can you create from old broken mirrors?
- Use them as replacement parts for some of your favorite things. Perhaps you have a favorite item than needs a replacement mirror. Use old mirrors as replacement parts for your favorite things instead of throwing them in the garbage.
- Make a planter for plants. Get creative and construct a planter box from an old mirror. It’s actually easier than you think. Glue and old mirrors can quickly do the trick. Leave tiny spaces for water to escape so that your plants won’t be prone to over-watering.
- Cover the top of your ends table to help ward off scratches. Mirrors that have smooth edges can make the perfect protective covering for the tops of your tables. This will protect the surfaces from tiny scratches made by knick knacks, lamps, and other items that sit on your table tops. They will also reflect light and help you space feel bigger.
- Use them as candle holders. Allow old mirrors to catch the candle wax that is the result of burning your candles. You can place them all throughout your home to protect surfaces from hot candle wax. This is actually a very popular use of mirrors.
- Make gifts from them. What ideas of gifts can you come up with that can be made from old mirrors? A little creativity can help you create the perfect gift for that special someone in your life.
- Use an old mirror for make-up application. If you are tired of standing at the mirror in your bathroom and applying make-up, you use an old vanity mirror to help with the application. Enjoy sitting in a chair while putting your make-up on daily.
- Donate them to a homeless shelter near you. Homeless shelters like to fix up small rooms for the homeless to enjoy when they utilize the shelter. Perhaps the shelter can find good use of the mirrors for you.
- Store them until you need them. You never know when you may need a mirror in the future. Consider storing them in a safe location such as the attic or shed. This way, you will have them when and if you need them.
Don’t just throw those old mirrors out! Use the 12 tips listed above to find a creative use for mirrors. You will be amazed at what you can do with mirrors when you use a little creativity.